Marriage Documents




Papers are completed some time after the Pre-Marriage Course, usually inside two months of the Marriage date.

The enquiry form is completed in the presence of a priest of the Parish where each party normally resides.  This form is confidential to the priest and the party involved.

Each party must obtain a recent copy of their Baptismal Certificate and a copy of their Confirmation Certificate, from the Parish where they were baptised and confirmed respectively.

If either or both parties lived away from their present address for a period of time a ‘Letter of Freedom’ may be required.  Alternatively a ‘Statutory Declaration’ may be filled out in the presence of a Commissioner of Oaths/Solicitor. Individual cases can be discussed with your priest who will advise you.

You should also bring to the priest who completes the bride's papers, the Certificate received on completion of your Pre-Marriage Course and the MRF received from the Registrar of Civil Marriages.

Please click here for a printable version of the 'Statutory Declaration'. The Statutory Declaration is a legal document, whereby a person is declaring that he/she has not been married before.